How to Request Deferred Adjudication for a Traffic Ticket

Facing a traffic ticket can be a stressful experience, but requesting deferred adjudication could be a beneficial option to avoid the long-term consequences on your driving record. Deferred adjudication allows you to plead guilty or no contest to the charge and, upon successful completion of a probationary period, have the ticket dismissed. This means no points on your driving record and potentially lower insurance premiums.

If you’ve received a traffic ticket and are considering deferred adjudication, it’s essential to act promptly and seek expert advice. At CTL, our experienced attorneys can guide you through the process, ensuring you meet all requirements and deadlines. Contact our traffic attorneys in Chicago today for a consultation to explore your options and learn how we can help you achieve the best possible outcome for your traffic violation.

Don’t let a traffic ticket affect your driving record—reach out to us now at (708) 465-1040 and take the first step toward resolving your case.

Table of Contents

What is Deferred Adjudication?

Deferred adjudication is a type of probation that allows a person to plead guilty or no contest to a criminal charge while avoiding a finding of guilt. In most cases, on successful completion of all required terms and conditions set forth by the court, at the end of the probationary period, a person’s case is dismissed and they avoid having a criminal record. This form of probation period is usually only available for minor offenses such as traffic violations.

What Is Deferred Disposition?

Deferred disposition is a court-ordered agreement between the defendant and the prosecutor in which the defendant agrees to complete certain conditions over a specified period. If all conditions are met by the end of the probation time, then the original charges against the defendant are dismissed.

a woman receiving a traffic ticket

Deferred disposition is commonly used for minor traffic offenses, such as speeding tickets or other moving violations. It is not available for more serious crimes, such as DUI or DWI, or for offenses in which a personal injury was caused.

Who Qualifies For Deferred Disposition?

Deferred disposition is a form of probation for certain traffic violations. Offenders must meet certain conditions during a deferral period, and if they do, their case may be dismissed without a conviction on their record. Not all traffic ticket offenses qualify and eligibility may vary by state and court.

How To Apply For A Deferred Disposition

If you have a traffic ticket, you can avoid going to court by applying for deferred disposition. This is an agreement between you and the court where they suspend your case until you complete certain requirements.

To apply, contact the court that issued your ticket and provide evidence that you qualify. You may need to attend a hearing or sign an agreement. If approved, you may have to pay a fee and complete requirements like traffic school, a defensive driving course, or community service.

Deferred adjudication can help you avoid a conviction, but you must understand and follow all court-ordered probation sentence requirements. If you don’t comply, the court can revoke the deferral status and re-adjudicate the case. Even if your case is dismissed, it may still appear on your record as a “dismissed” charge.

Does a Deferred Ticket Go on Your Record?

Deferred adjudication is a plea agreement where you plead guilty or no contest to a charge, but the court delays the decision on your conviction. If you meet all the court’s conditions for a certain period, you may get a dismissal and the charge won’t show on your driving record.

However, keep in mind that even if the case is deferred, the charge may still appear as “dismissed” on your record.

What Happens After Deferred Disposition?

If you request deferred disposition for a traffic ticket, there are consequences to consider. The court will delay your trial date and give you time to fulfill the terms of the arrangement. This usually involves paying fines, taking a defensive driving course, or doing community service.

Once you complete everything, the court will dismiss your case and the charge won’t show up on your record. However, it may still appear as “dismissed” and be visible to certain employers or interested parties.

How to Get a Continuance for a Traffic Violation

If you receive a traffic ticket, you must handle it properly. A continuance could be a good option for dealing with your violation. It postpones your trial date and lets you avoid going to court right away. A continuance gives you time to prepare and understand your options.

a police officer writing a man a traffic ticket

Contact the court that issued your ticket to request a continuance. They may require evidence and an agreement. If approved, you’ll likely need to pay a fee for the continuance.

Request the Deferred Adjudication in Person

If you want to request deferred adjudication for a ticket, go to your traffic court date on time. Bring all the necessary documents. Dress appropriately and show respect. Inform the judge about your case and why you want deferred adjudication. The judge will accept or deny your request. If accepted, follow the court’s instructions to complete deferred adjudication.

Requesting Deferred Adjudication by Mail

If you want to avoid points or penalties from a traffic ticket, you can request deferred adjudication by mail. This means you plead guilty, but the conviction is delayed.

To do this, get an application form from the court and fill it out. Mail it with any required payment. The judge will then notify you of their decision. If approved, you must meet all listed requirements to complete deferred adjudication.

Requesting a Deferred Adjudication in an Emergency

If you get a traffic ticket and want deferred adjudication, follow these steps. Contact the issuing court and ask if they allow deferred adjudication for your violation. This option is usually available for non-serious violations. If approved, provide proof of eligibility and pay any required fees. Follow all court instructions to complete the deferred adjudication successfully.

Call to Speak to an Experienced Traffic Lawyer Today!

Need help with requesting deferred adjudication for a traffic ticket? Chicago Traffic Lawyers can assist you. Our experienced traffic lawyers know the law and can handle your case effectively. We understand that every case is unique, so we provide personalized advice based on your situation.

Our team of highly experienced lawyers can guide you through the process of requesting deferred adjudication and explain other legal options available. Don’t hesitate to contact our office today for a free consultation.

Share This Post

Related Content